It seems as though January has flown by, even if I have spent this month relaxing and catching up after the holiday season. Christmas week is always crazy here. My birthday is the 24th, Christmas the 25th, and Bill’s birthday is the 26th. This year was weird to say the least, but we still managed to spend some time with my dad, our kids and grandkids. Bill and I don’t typically buy each other Christmas gifts, but we do get each other birthday gifts.
This year we had so much fun gifting our kids with bowls made from a Russian Olive tree that blew down on our property a few years back and wooden spoons from an apple tree that lost a limb. A friend of ours, who grew up in our 4-H club, started a new business of making wooden bowls, plates and vases. It made this last Christmas even more special to have her take wood from our property and turn them not something personal for all of us. Check out Speckled Blue Shop on Etsy!
Once the holidays were over, I have spent time making up new recipes and coming up with new product ideas too. Even though I am eager for spring, I have learned to rest in this winter season.
Resting for me comes in the form of reading some days — maybe you can relate?
Here is my list of favorite books in 2020:
- A Woman of No Importance by Sonia Purnell
- Lion by Saroo Brierly
- Educated by Tara Westover
- The Eighty Dollar Champion by Elizabeth Letts
- Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks
- The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates
- The Girl with Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee
- Call the Nurse by Mary J. Macleod
- These is my Words by Nancy Turner
- The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig
- Last Bus to Wisdom by Ivan Doig
- Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
- The Radium Girls by Kate Moore
Next on the list:
- Raised in the Ruins by Tara Neilson
- Bringing it to the Table by Wendell Berry
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
- The Benedict Option by Rod Dreher
- The Egg and I by Betty Macdonald